Reporting to the Strategic Director, Sustainable Growth and Opportunity
Purpose of a Director role:
Directors carry individual and collective accountability with Lambeth Strategic Directors for achieving Lambeth’s strategic and service outcomes and in particular the successful delivery of the Borough Plan. As a Director, a primary role will be to contribute to the strategic direction of the Council and for translating the strategy into performance goals and outcomes.
As a member of the Director team, accountabilities will include:
- Collectively contributing to setting the direction of and delivering Lambeth’s objectives and agreed outcomes in an integrated way, personally taking accountability for the achievement of these at Directorate and service-level
- Collectively and personally responsible for delivering performance across the council.
- Mobilisation of external community, public and private partnerships in lie with Council strategy
- Working with other Directors and in own service area to create the organisational culture which is motivational, fosters excellent performance and innovation amongst staff, and ensures that their teams have the right skills and capacity to deliver
- Being focussed on the customer and actively promoting the internal working and partnership relationships to achieve this
- Bringing and articulating an outside perspective including national developments and excellent practice which will contribute to developing the ambition for Lambeth. Championing own and others ideas
- Along with Strategic Directors and Directors, promotes high levels of integrity and corporate governance including ensuring collectively and in individual service areas that council standards and policies are adhered to
- Providing support and advice to elected Members
- Effectively anticipates and constructively addresses challenges and situations where conflict may arise
- Personally leading, large projects and programmes
- Together with Strategic Director and Director colleagues, acts as a champion for Lambeth’s wider values including equalities, sustainability, health and safety and value for money
- Accountable together with Strategic Directors and Directors for developing and managing business continuity plans and the Council’s emergency response arrangements
Specific Accountabilities as Director: Enterprise, Jobs and Skills
- Development of the local economy and the maximisation of opportunities for Lambeth residents.
- Promotion and marketing of Lambeth
- Inward investment and maximisation of GVA
- Relationship with Business Improvement Districts
- Community engagement related to neighbourhood CIL
- Support to small and medium sized businesses
- Employment programmes to maximise employment and earnings of Lambeth’s residents
- Commissioning of skills programmes and adult learning
- Programmes for economic inclusion and financial resilience
- Lead relationship with skills providers, LSBU/Lambeth College.
Specific Objectives for the Next 6-12 Months
- Prepare and agree a skills strategy
- Update and refresh employment and skills section 106 negotiation and monitoring
- Managing 6 Business Improvement Districts
- Complete co-operative Local Investment Plans
Directors will be expected to have a proven track record of leadership, management and development of services and working across service disciplines. They will preferably have experience of working in a political environment advising elected Members. In addition, all Directors will be expected to have the following:
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent background in investment, development and economic development in a local government and preferably London background
- Manages across a number of specialisations and has a very clear need to work in partnership with internal and external partners to deliver the required results and outcomes
- Proven skills in managing and achieving outcomes including tracking the benefits
- Successful financial management
- Ability to lead change
- Excellent influencing skills and a track record of using them.
- Leadership and management of people including developing talented, motivated teams and enabling them to maximise their potential.
- Proven ability to be able to prepare and present controversial material to Members and the public and to be able to manage media relations effectively
- Can proactively identify and resolve complex problems individually and working effectively with other Directors and Strategic Directors
Behaviour and Attributes
- Personal credibility to provide corporate and professional leadership
- Takes accountability for own actions and holds others to account
- Has high levels of personal integrity and is able to gain the respect of colleagues, elected Members, the community, stakeholders and staff
- Uses personal credibility to foster engagement with staff to enable their contribution to service development and achieve high levels of performance
- Has a collaborative approach to developing solutions and improving services
- Is committed to own personal development and that of their directorate teams
Specific Requirements for the Role of Director: Enterprise, Jobs and Skills
In addition to the skills and knowledge requirements of all Lambeth Directors, the Director of Strategic Enterprise, Jobs and Skills is required to be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strategic understanding of London as a global city and Lambeth’s role as an individual borough and member of sub-regional and London-wide partnerships
- Demonstration of achieving results with respect to the following areas – Investment and Growth, Employment and Skills, Economic Inclusion and Financial Resilience
- Ability to demonstrate strong and collaborative external and internal partnerships
- Thorough understanding of place based policy and ability to influence and inform new policy development in local, regional and national arenas
- Ability to demonstrate strategic understanding and track record of commissioning activity, procurement, contract management and programme management practices relevant to regeneration and capital delivery
- Track record of negotiating and facilitating new development through the planning and regeneration processes and maximising community benefit for the borough
- Track record of delivering strong consultation and engagement to ensure residents and business partners are fully informed and involved in regeneration
- Relevant professional qualification at degree-level, or equivalent
Objective and Target Setting
As part of Lambeth’s performance management arrangements, outcome based objectives and targets which will be both corporate and service specific will be developed and agreed either 6-monthly or annually. These will supplement the content of this role profile.
This role profile will subject to regular review and the council reserves the right to vary the accountabilities in accordance with operational and strategy need.
Before applying, please contact Jonathan Swain for a confidential discussion about the role on 07733 304094.