Reporting to the Strategic Director Resident Services
Purpose of a Director role:
Directors carry individual and collective accountability with Lambeth Strategic Directors for achieving Lambeth’s strategic and service outcomes and, the successful delivery of the Borough Plan. As a Director, a primary role will be to contribute to the strategic direction of the Council and for translating the strategy into performance goals and outcomes.
As a member of the Director team, accountabilities will include:
- Collectively contributing to setting the direction of and delivering Lambeth’s objectives and agreed outcomes in an integrated way, personally taking accountability for the achievement of these at Directorate and service-level.
- Collectively and personally responsible for delivering performance across the Council.
- Mobilising external community, public and private sector partnerships in line with Council strategy
- Working with other Directors, and in own service area, to create the organisational culture which is motivational, fosters excellent performance and innovation amongst staff, and ensures that their teams have the right skills and capacity to deliver.
- Being focussed on the customer and actively promoting the internal working and partnership relationships to achieve this.
- Bringing and articulating an outside perspective including national developments and excellent practice which will contribute to developing the ambition for Lambeth. Championing own and other ideas.
- Along with Strategic Directors and Directors, promotes high levels of integrity and corporate governance including ensuring collectively and in individual service areas that Council standards and policies are adhered to.
- Providing support and advice to elected Members.
- Effectively anticipates and constructively addresses challenges and situations where conflict may arise.
- Personally leading, large projects and programmes.
- Together with Strategic Director and Director Colleagues, acts as a champion for Lambeth’s wider values including equalities, sustainability, health and safety, and value for money.
- Accountable together with Strategic Directors and Directors for developing and managing business continuity plans and the Council’s emergency response arrangements.
Specific Accountabilities as Director: Residents’ Experience & Digital
- Together with the Strategic Director Resident Services and working with Strategic Director and Director colleagues, develop and deliver Lambeth’s Digital, ICT and Customer Access Strategy (including digital roadmap) through a holistic approach to change, focusing on the digital outcomes for the transformation of Lambeth to become a digital, customer-focused centre of excellence in order to deliver the best resident and customer experience possible.
- Act as Chief Digital Officer for Lambeth taking care of digital innovation both externally – in the Councils’ interactions with customers, partners, suppliers, and internally – collecting and analysing data, improving efficiency through the use of digital technologies and tools, and transforming the organisation and culture to enable the Council to compete successfully as a best practice organisation in the digital age.
- Lead, implement and continuously improve digital delivery systems, including the creation of digital expertise skills and capabilities across the organisation ‘Lambeth Digital Labyrinths’ that supports the delivery of the Borough Plan and modern working methods.
- Lead on the outputs of Digital Delivery agenda and continuously improve the customer experience through co-ordinated customer-centred experience testing through digital delivery whilst ensuring it is a measurable business improvement against outcomes, such as reduced call volumes, better demand management and increased customer satisfaction
- Accountable for reporting progress on Lambeth Digital Delivery
- Lead the customer-designed service provision agenda for Lambeth’s public services, to understand and develop a customer-led approach that champions public independence and self-service, whilst ensuring that there is equality of access for those that need support.
- Development of a range of appropriate access methods and points of access for residents that can be utilised by the suite of Council services; supporting the development of a neighbourhood focus and promotes independence and self-service.
- Maintain and promote a strong understanding (and narrative) which demonstrates that we understand our residents so that prioritisation and decision-making is made from strong data and a performance evidence-base meeting the aspiration of Members and Communities.
- Lead the Council’s customer service support functions (Customer & Community Contact, ICT, Business Support, Business Continuity), Revenues & Benefits, Registrars and Library Service.
- Effective development of the service including having effective workforce plans in place, motivating and developing staff, fostering talent and a high performing ‘inclusive’ culture.
- Promote a partnership working style within own service area and with other support services across the Strategic Director Resident Services’ remit, external partners and third parties to serve the Lambeth community.
- Lead on the Council’s Accessibility Statement
Specific Objectives/Outcomes for the Next 6 Months
Our purpose is to consistently deliver and improve on the excellent services we provide. Taking a design-led approach, working in an agile way – lead the design and improvement of customer centred services across Lambeth, enabling them with fit-for-purpose technology and data.
The ambition for the division is for it to truly reflect what we do. In many instances to be the “visible face of the council”, along with core services that enable the organisation to be innovative, improve residents’ experiences, and function better as an organisation. Over the next 6 months lead this transition to enable this ambition.
As our new Director of Residents’ Experience & Digital, you will enable us to build on Lambeth’s record of success by delivering a strategy and transformative programme of work to enable the division to:
- Truly reflect what we do
- Be design-led, and consistently deliver and improve on exceptional customer experiences
- Iteratively design and deliver user-centred technology so that we are efficient, effective, responsive and easy to engage with
- Utilise the best approaches to data and management information to ensure that we are maximising the value of it.
- Together with the Strategic Director Resident Services and working with Strategic Director and Director colleagues, develop and deliver Lambeth’s Digital, ICT and Customer Access Vision and Strategy
- Lead and implement and continuously improve digital delivery systems, including the creation of digital expertise skills and capabilities across the organisation ‘Lambeth Digital Labyrinths’
- Lead the customer designed service provision agenda for Lambeth’s public services, to understand and develop a customer- led approach that champions public independence and self-service, whilst ensuring there is equality of access for those that need support.
- Lead on the outputs of the Digital Delivery agenda and continuously improve the customer relationship and experience through co-ordinated user experience testing through digital delivery
- Lead on the configuration and any associated innovative re-design of the Residents’ Experience and Digital division.
Directors will be expected to have a proven track record of leadership, management and development of services and working across service disciplines. They will preferably have experience of working in a political environment advising elected Members. In addition, all Directors will be expected to have the following:
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven skills in managing and achieving outcomes including tracking the benefits.
- Successful financial management.
- Ability to demonstrate service development and delivery across more than one professional discipline.
- Ability to lead change.
- Excellent influencing skills and a track record of using them.
- Leadership and management of people including developing talented, motivated teams and enabling them to maximise their potential.
- Proven ability to be able to prepare and present controversial material to Members, the public and to be able to manage media relations effectively.
- Can proactively identify and resolve complex problems individually and works effectively with other Directors and Strategic Directors.
Behaviour and Attributes
- Personal credibility to provide corporate and professional leadership.
- Takes accountability for own actions and holds others to account.
- Has high levels of personal integrity and is able to gain the respect of colleagues, elected Members, the community, stakeholders and staff.
- Uses personal credibility to foster engagement with staff to enable their contribution to service development and achieve high levels of performance.
- Has a collaborative approach to developing solutions and improving services
- Is committed to own personal development and that of their directorate teams.
Specific Requirements for the Role of Director: Residents’ Experience & Digital
In addition to the skills and knowledge requirements of all Lambeth Strategy Directors, the Director of Residents Experience & Digital is required to additionally be able to demonstrate the following:
- In depth understanding of digital delivery with customer focus
- Track record of developing strategic plans and managing accounts in large complex organisations.
- Track record of developing and leading professional teams.
- An understanding of the effective development of customer services in a complex organisation.
- Ability to demonstrate a collaborative approach to working with support services colleagues to develop joined up solutions.
- Programme management skills.
- Education to degree level or equivalent.
Objective and Target Setting
As part of Lambeth’s performance management arrangements, outcome-based objectives and targets which will be both corporate and service specific will be developed and agreed either 6 monthly or annually. These will supplement the content of this role profile.
This role profile will subject to regular review and the Council reserves the right to vary the accountabilities in accordance with operational requirements and deliverables.
Before applying, please contact Jonathan Swain for a confidential discussion about the role on 07733 304094.