Head of Communications and Engagement
Reports To: Executive Director, Strategy
Direct reports: Head of Engagement, Media Manager, Digital Communications Manager, Internal Communications Manager, Head of Scottish Affairs, Head of Welsh Affairs
To be the professional lead for communications and engagement across all aspects of the GDC’s activities. Develop and deliver effective communications and engagement ensuring they effectively support the wider organisational priorities. Provide leadership, professional development and strategic direction to the communications and engagement team. Work closely with the Executive Director, Strategy to provide strategic communications advice to the Council and executive management team.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Lead, manage and develop a team that provides effective communications across all channels and to all audiences, both external and internal, engages effectively with stakeholders and provides strategic input and communications expertise to other functions across the GDC
- Lead the development of an effective communications and engagement strategy, taking ownership for its delivery
- Lead the GDC’s relationships with the devolved administrations to ensure that the GDC is effective as a UK-wide regulator
- Work closely with the Director of Strategy to provide strategic communications and engagement advice to the Council, and the GDC more broadly.
- Monitor and assess the position of GDC and dentistry more widely across media and wider external commentary, embedding an organisational culture that ensures intelligence is gathered and shared across the GDC, and is used to inform decisions where appropriate
- Develop constructive relationships with key influencers and opinion formers
- Ensure the development and delivery of integrated communications plans to support key organisational priorities
- Be accountable for all communications and engagement channels and activity including, corporate branding, digital, publications, press and media, events and face-to-face engagement
- Work across the GDC to ensure there is effective engagement with the professional groups the GDC regulates, and with patients and the wider public
- Champion clear and effective communications in support of a consistent brand and voice for the organisation
- Manage the budget for the communications and engagement function, ensuring efficient and effective use of resources
- Contribute to the corporate senior leadership of the organisation, including the development and implementation of the GDC’s corporate strategy, business planning and programme of organisational improvements
- Act as a role model, embodying the organisational values, leadership behaviours, and commitments to equality, diversity and inclusion at all times
- Undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time
Please refer to the enclosed Candidate Prospectus for the full job description and person specification (please click to download).
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact Jonathan Swain on 07733 304094 or via email@example.com.